CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Humbling Experience

Today is my 30th birthday. I'm still in shock a bit over this fact. I'm happy to be 30, I have a lot to show for my 30 years. A loving, handsome husband, 3 wonderful children, a home of our own and some pretty incredible friends. Not to mention that getting older certainly beats the alternative.

My day started like any others, the kids waking me up. But this morning Justin was the one to wake me up because he was dying to give me the present he got me over a week ago. It was KILLING him to keep it a secret. He made me a homemade card and a $15 iTunes gift card. He has got to be the sweetest kid I know. Hannah had her first sleep over last night with her friend Emalee so they all got up and we came down stairs so I could get them breakfast. After being up for a while, I finally made Brian get up. I was hoping that he would just once, on my "special day" let me sleep in while he got up with the kids, I should have known better!! :) Once I did finally wake him up, he was grumpy. I was feeling like except for Justin my day was starting off pretty crappy. Anyway, once Brian got around and I took a shower, we decided to drive up to Syracuse to this huge farmers market we saw driving through there a couple months ago. However, when we got up that way we were caught in concert traffic. It was insane!!! We decided to go to Dinosaur BBQ for lunch, something we've talked about doing for years. So after fighting our way through traffic and trying to get directions from our phone, we finally found the place. It was packed. But not a long wait so we sat down, yelled our order which the waitress could barely take the time to get and waited for our food. I have to say, it is one place we can say we've been to, but will never return to. The food was ok but not worth the cost, the service was lousy and the general atmosphere to us just seemed rushed. I'm sure it didn't help that we had the kids with us and Caleb of course does not yet know what sit still means. They also didn't ask if we wanted a high chair which I feel is something they should ask when they see people with small children, even if they are busy. Anyway, as we were leaving a gentlemen approached us as we were getting into our car and was telling us how he missed out on the meals they were serving at the mission. Brian told me to give him a few dollars, I only had $2.00 but we had Hannah's left over mac & cheese, that probably wouldn't have been eaten and half a bag of chips that we gave the guy. He was so appreciative and it made me think. We were just complaining about our whole experience and here is a guy who would settle for our leftovers. It made me realize how lucky I am. We were able to spend a day together as a family, go somewhere we've never been and although it may not have been the best experience, we're not lacking for anything. I was thinking that somehow Brian's Mom had something to do with this man approaching us. She was always helping homeless people in Austin. We were forgetting to be thankful for what we have. Anyway, I wanted to share that experience with you. Don't forget to be thankful for what you have, even if sometimes it's not all you wish it was. :)

1 comments:

Ellyn said...

Thanks for the reminder. We could all use one of those every once in a while.

That Justin is quite a kid. Go give him a hug for me, will ya.

Happy Birthday!